A Mom Blog Social Network
Ok, I think I've discussed I HATE wasting food. Its my
hard earned unemployment money going in the trash. So what can I make with some almost gone by veggies, frozen chicken boobs, and one rogue premade pie crust? You got it, Chicken Pot Pie.
4 tbl Butter
3 tbl Flour
2 Boneless Chicken Boobs (well, 2 halves that is)
Whatever veggies are in the house that need to get used up fresh, frozen, canned, moldy...
1 pie crust
1 egg, beaten
1. Season boobs with seasoned salt and pepper (or whatever your desired flavor may be)
2. I quartered an onion and tossed it on the baking sheet with the seasoned chicken breasts.
3. Bake at 350 F until the internal temp of the chicken is 165 F. I foiled it up so as not to lose any liquid from the chicken an onions as I did not have any chicken stock on hand and needed all the flavor I could get.
4. When chicken is done, dice up your veggies and boil them until done. I cut up about 1.5 cups of pretty dried up carrots and the same amount of potatoes.
5. Melt butter in a skillet. Once melted stir in flour, cook 3-4 minutes to get rid of that flour-y taste. This is where that delicious onion-chicken liquid comes in handy, whisk it into the roux. I then ladled some of the boiling water from the veggies into the skillet too. Hey, its got some flavor right?
6. Dice up chicken boobs and onions and add to the gravy mixture. I also added a cup of frozen peas.
7. Once veggies are done (fork tender) boiling, toss them into the gravy mixture too, sans remaining liquid.
8. Add chicken gravy goodness to a 4 qt casserole dish, brush inside top rim with egg wash, roll pie crust on top and seal her up. Cut slits in top of crust to allow steam to escape. Brush pie crust with egg wash for that shiny golden brown awesomeness.
9. Bake until pie crust is done (remember the filling is already cooked).
I had not made this before for Red and he loved it! It was so hearty and filling! He couldn't believe how much flavor there was for using up a bunch of crap from the fridge. Maybe next time I will have some chicken stock on hand.