Controlling allergens in your home

We can’t avoid allergens, they are everywhere in our daily lives, both inside and outside.With a little planning and caution, you can avoid allergens such as bee stings and even food related risks such as nuts, gluten or lactose. But, for all our preparations and caution, there are also allergens that you might not be able to see but might still cause a level of discomfort and irritation.

Pollen; the bringer of Hay Fever

We all love the spring, the season of new life, of Instagram worthy blossom, and of course, the chocolate delight that is Easter. But for those of us that suffer with Hay Fever, the spring is a time of itchy streaming eyes, either blocked or runny noses and irritating coughs.

Sure, you can dose yourself up on antihistamines to try to mitigate the effects of what is an allergic reaction to pollen or you can, in your home at least, take some simple steps to minimise how pollen comes into your home.

Wipe down the dog

It sounds a little strange, but our canine friends often spend their time rolling around in grass and foliage and will liberally cover themselves in pollen spores which are then transported into your home ready to irritate your nasal passages. Taking a damp cloth to your pet after they have been outside will collect some of the pollen spores that are on their fur and minimise the spread of it internally. They might even enjoy the grooming, although we can’t promise.

Hoovering is not enough

Sure, the vacuum cleaner is handy for keeping the place clean and will also help to rid your home of the other household allergen, House Dust Mites, but in the case of pollen, it’s not quite enough. We recommend that you wash your soft furnishings; bedding, curtains and cushions for example, regularly and take a slightly damp cloth to any fabric-based furniture that you might have at home, such as the sofa. Similarly, to wiping down the dog, although we would of course recommend a change in cloths, it will collect up some of the spores and reduce of the risk of Hay Fever striking.

Excuse me, House Dust Mites?

Ah yes, our tiny little friends. These little bugs are 0.2mm in size and so are not able to be seen by the naked eye. They are, in the main, harmless and spend their time in warm, humid environments, particularly fabrics, feeding on the skin cells we shed every day. They don’t bite (if you’re being bitten, seek advice from a pest control specialist) but they can cause a reaction similar to that of Hay Fever.

Interestingly, and slightly grossly, the mites themselves do not cause a reaction but it’s their waste (of which they produce up to 200x their body weight!) Fear not, however, as the precautions we have suggested above for pollen also work for House Dust Mites. You might also want to keep your house arid and cool, as they prefer the warmth and humidity.

If you would like to read more about household allergens, combatting them and, where necessary, treating them; why not head to http://uk.klarify.me/

Image Source:  https://pixabay.com/en/plant-pollen-pollination-flower-692141/

Would you like Bloggy Moms to feature your product or attraction? Please contact us here.
Content on this site contains sponsored and affiliate links. Read our disclosure here. If you purchase something through a post on our site, Bloggy Moms or the publishing member may get a small share of the sale.