There is just something about camping… being outdoors in nature, setting up a tent, animals sounds, and pesky insects, beautiful sunrises and sunsets, and sitting around a campfire roasting marshmallows for s’mores. I guess I could’ve just gotten straight to the s’mores because that is almost always the first thing I think of! Nothing quite like it.
Well, camping isn’t on our list of trips for this year, but I still wanted to introduce my kids to a version of this delicious treat. Here’s our easy s’more recipe. My children loved it… and Daddy did too!
What you need:
- 2 packages of graham crackers
- 1 bag of milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 bag of marshmallows
- wax paper
What to do:
- Pour your marshmallows into a casserole dish and place it into the broiler for 5 minutes or less
- You’ll know they’re ready when they are lightly browned and partially melted
- You can also opt to soften the marshmallow over the stove top, its just a little easier to distribute the heat evenly in the broiler
- Spread out a sheet of wax paper over your work area. Things are going to really sticky, really fast!
- While the marshmallows are doing their thing, have the children take out the graham crackers from their packages and break them in half
- Take the casserole dish out of the broiler and set aside to cool a bit, no longer than a minute, before inviting the kids to dig in
- Grab a spoon and scoop out some of the melted marshmallows. Put it on one side of a graham cracker
- Use another graham cracker to scrap off the marshmallows from the spoon and then to be the top of your “sandwich”
- Allow the kids to continue this process while you get started on the chocolate
- You can melt your chocolate chips in the microwave, but heat a little at a time to prevent overcooking
- Another option is to melt them over the stove
- If the stove-top method is what you prefer, pour the chips into a pot and sit that pot on top of a second one containing boiling water
- As the steam from the second pot rises, it will begin to heat the chocolate.
- Stir until all the chips have been completely melted
- Dip the marshmallow sandwiches into the chocolate and sit on the wax paper to cool.
- Allow the chocolate to harden… or not! Take a bite
- The kids could also spoon chocolate over the graham crackers (my little ones preferred this method)
- Try with dark chocolate or white chocolate!