An automotive multimeter is designed to help you accurately identify engine problems. It tests solenoids, diodes, breaker points of the vehicle. It can fix any electrical part of your car as well. It gives you the best testing, troubleshooting the factors that affect the performance in your automotive operation.
The best multimeter for an automobile can combine three products (ohmmeter, ammeter and voltmeter) and it can easily resolve the electrical issue with the vehicle. So, when it comes to automotive repairs, there is no need to carry different measuring equipment as a single multimeter for an automobile is the best solution.
Need of the multimeter for automobiles
There are various needs to use the automotive or vehicle’s multimeter. Some of them include:
Test the battery of your car: Multimeter designed for the automobiles helps you to find the presence or the absence of voltage in your vehicle battery. If you notice that your car is starting to run low on power then the multimeter for the automobile is the best. It helps you to know if your car’s battery is able to provide the sufficient voltage to your car or not. In case, if the voltage is below the average level then the battery will not charge and you will need to replace the battery.
Test the alternator: If your car’s battery is in the good condition then check the alternator of your car. You are required to set the multimeter to 20V DC and ensure that the battery is connected but the engine is turned off. The multimeter will read 12.5 – 12.8V if there are no issues with the battery and the engine is turned off. When the engine is one, the reading will be between 13.8V and 14.8V. This indicates that the alternator is in good condition otherwise there is a need to replace it for improving the performance of your car.
Two types of automotive multimeters
There are basically two types of multimeters for automobiles which are used:
- Digital: Digital multimeter for automobile displays numbers on the screen. Digital multimeters are generally expensive than analog multimeter but It will give you an exact reading. Digital multimeter has a wide variety of additional functions. It can measure temperature using type k-thermocouple. It uses the latest technologies for better results.
- Analog: Analog multimeter is a traditional multimeter. It uses a needle to show the reading. Analog multimeter is less expensive as compared to the digital. It will not give you pinpoint accuracy in reading as compared to the digital multimeter.
Advantages of using the multimeter for automobiles
- Helps in identifying the exact part in which trouble has occurred.
- Easy to use and handle.
- You can buy at an affordable price.
- Multimeter for the automobile can also read negative value especially in terms of voltage.
- There is no loading effect on the multimeter for the automobile due to high impendence.
- It is available in small and compact size.
- It can be used for both AC and DC quantities
Safety precautions to use the multimeters
- If you aren’t experienced in working with electricity, you should be careful, while using this device at high voltage.
- Always use protective gloves and headwear before using it on heavy volt appliances.
It will help the beginners to work with the automobile multimeter effectively.